Dane Stuns Djokovic

 Rune, who advanced past Hubert Hurkacz, Andrey Rublev, Carlos Alcaraz, and Felix Auger-Aliassime to reach his first Masters 1000 final, won the match against Djokovic and now has five Top 10 victories in as many days. After saving three set points in a thrilling first-round victory over Stan Wawrinka, Rune was thrilled to have kept his composure in another tense match against Djokovic.


The lengthy 12th game of the third set, according to the Dane, "was the most stressful game of my life." "My intellect was nearly inside my heart. I had already begun to consider the tie-break. I'm very happy I was able to complete it."

At the Rolex Paris Masters on Sunday, Holger Rune's meteoric climb reached a new high when the 19-year-old pulled off an incredible comeback to defeat six-time champion Novak Djokovic 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 and win his first ATP Masters 1000 title.

After dropping the first set, the #NextGenATP Dane battled back to upset Djokovic and win the biggest title in his young career in spectacular fashion, coming back from a 0/40 start to the second set's opening game and a 1-3 disadvantage in the third. He also saved six break points in the final game.

It's the ideal way to end the week, and it means everything to me, remarked Rune. To share the court with Novak is an honour.

This week, Rune's leap to 10th place is mind-boggling. Rune, who has now won 19 of his last 21 matches, was competing in his fourth straight ATP Tour final. The Dane will reach a career-high ranking of No. 10 in the Pepperstone ATP Rankings on Monday thanks to his title run in Paris.

To be quite honest, I'm having the nicest sensation ever, stated Rune. "If you had told me I would be in the Top 10 four weeks ago... "What, sorry?" is what I would say. Now that I'm here, I'm incredibly proud.

Rune, who advanced past Hubert Hurkacz, Andrey Rublev, Carlos Alcaraz, and Felix Auger-Aliassime to reach his first Masters 1000 final, won the match against Djokovic and now has five Top 10 victories in as many days. These triumphs came after his dramatic victory in the first round.

Comments